Monday, March 30, 2009

Long Beach Museum of Art


The LBMA is situated on top of a grassy hill overlooking the shores of Long Beach. It just might be one of the most picturesque spots in the city.

I have driven, ran and walked past this museum many times. I've even tried to visit a couple of times, but they were renovating or closed. This time, I did the smart thing and used the good old internet before venturing out. Finally, Sunday was the day that I would get to enjoy all that LBMA has to offer!

The view itself, is an exhibit all it's own. You can have breakfast or lunch at the outdoor cafe, while savoring the unobstructed view of the Pacific Ocean. They offer limited hours, so be sure to check the website before planning to dine.

There are currently three exhibits at the museum along with their permanent collections, California Seen 1930-1970, Modernism and the Wichner Collection and David Simon: Dark Forest. I enjoyed them all, but one in particular stuck with me well after I left the gallery, David Simon's Dark Forest. This exhibit was truly awe inspiring. The realness of the sculptures both physically and emotionally, is just as haunting as it is beautiful. Dark Forest is on display until May 31st, 2009. http://www.davidsimonart.com/

No comments: