Thursday, January 28, 2010

Mmm, Carrot Cake


After juicing a ton...o.k, alot of carrots, I needed something yummy to do with all my carrot fibers I had leftover. Obviously, carrot cake was the first thing that came to mind.

I didn't want to treck to the store for additional supplies, so I looked into my cabinet to see what I could put together, that would be somewhat healthy and delicious.

Here's what I came up with.

2 1/2c flour
1tsp baking powder
2tsp baking soda
1tsp salt
1tsp cinnamon
1tsp pumpkin pie spice
1tsp vanilla
3/4c brown sugar
1c coconut oil
3tbs cornstarch
2c carrot fibers from juicing (you can also use shredded)
14oz canned pineapple drained (reserve the liquid)
1/3c of the pineapple juice
3/4c shredded coconut
2 handfuls of raisins
2 handfuls chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and oil and flour baking pan. I used a bundt pan.
In seperate bowl, mix all other dry ingredients and set aside.
Cream oil, vanilla, sugar and cornstarch together.
Add in pineapple and juice.
Mix in dry ingredients along with coconut, raisins and nuts until just combined.
Do not over mix.
The batter will be thick like a quick bread.
Pour into pan and bake for 30-40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.


I didn't have any glaze or frosting ingredients on hand, so we enjoyed it without and it was perfectly delicious!
This cake is very moist, so you don't need to have one.
After the first day, I picked up some things to make a quick glaze and it was good that way as well, just a little sweeter.

No comments: