Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Famous Onion Bread


If you have even so much as dabbled in raw and living foods, you have come across The Onion Bread recipe. It was one of the first things I tried when I jumped into raw and I have to say, it is quite fabulous.
The tried and true recipe is from Matt Amsden's book RAWvolution. http://www.amazon.ca/Rawvolution-Matt-Amsden/dp/0060843187
Even my husband who isn't too fond of onions enjoys this recipe. Dehydrating onions mellows them out and also brings out their sweetness. Five simple ingredients yield a delicious result.
I came up with this version when I was jonesing for some onion bread, but only had purple onions on hand. As with most of my meals, I worked with what I had. The purple onions and brown flax meal gave the bread and even darker color and the sweetness was divine.

Purple onion bread

2 pounds purple onions- Vit C, rich in phytochemicals
1c ground brown flax seeds- Omega 3 fatty acids, high in fiber, lignans
1c ground sunflower seeds- Vit E, phytosterols which help lower cholesterol
1/4c Bragg Liquid Aminos- Non GMO amino acids
1/4c extra virgin olive oil- rich in oleic acid, regulates cholesterol levels


Slice onions in food processor. Grind until the onions are in small pieces, but not mush.


Remove them from FP and place in a bowl with the remaining ingredients. Let sit for a minute so the flax and seeds will soak up some of the juices from the wet ingredients and onions.



Smooth onto teflex sheets or parchment paper about 1/4 inch thick. Dehydrate at 110 until firm enough to flip(about 5 hrs). Dehydrate other side until bread is firm.
Sometimes I will dehydrate further to create a crispy flat bread.
Enjoy!

No comments: