Friday, January 16, 2009

Head to Toe Body Butter

I have been making some of my own beauty products for a couple of years now. I tired of reading labels over and over only to find out that it's not something that I want to put on or in my body.

My motto is: If I can put it in my mouth, then I will put it on my body. Everything else is rubbish!

I generally use the same products in the bathroom as I do in the kitchen. All of my cooking oils do double duty as hair and body moisturizers.
Fruit and coconut/nut milks are blended into conditioners and many of my teas and spices are used as well. Let's not forget my beloved baking soda. There is not a day that goes by that I don't use baking soda. I use it as a hair cleanser, teeth cleanser, face and body exfoliant, antacid...the list goes on.

I like to keep my beauty regimen basic, all natural, chemical free and healthful.
Although, I've been using oils and butters to moisturize my hair and skin, I had not yet ventured into mixing, whipping or fragrancing them.
I decided I would put together a recipe for myself as well as gifts for some family members. They were very pleased.

Here's my basic shea butter recipe:

1/2c unrefined shea butter- repairs, moisturizes and nourishes
1/4c virgin coconut oil- heals and protects from sun
1tsp vitamin E oil- antioxidant that helps your butter stay fresh
Few drops of fragrance oil- use any kind you like
3tbl cornstarch- helps butter go on smooth with a less greasy feel
I get my supplies from http://www.thesage.com/catalog/index.html
Make sure you have all your ingredients portioned out and ready to go. You don't want to be fumbling around once you've started melting your butters.


Melt your butters by putting it in a bowl over steaming hot water. I bring the water to boil and then turn it off. The heat from the steam is efficient enough to melt your butters.

Once the butter is fully melted, I add in the coconut oil. Combine well and let cool for about 30 minutes. At this point I add in the other oils and cornstarch.

Next I put the mixture in the fridge or freezer until it starts setting up. I take it out and start beating with a hand held mixer. After beating for about a minute I return to the fridge. I do this about 3 times until the desired consistency is reached.


It should resemble a thick whipped cream.

I store my whipped butters in a glass container. There are no preservatives in this mixture, so be sure to keep your storage containers clean and free of outside moisture. Use it from your head to your toes.

This will be the greatest feeling moisturizer you've ever put on your hair and body. The best thing about it is you know exactly what every ingredient is and where it came from!

No comments: