Saturday, October 31, 2009

Protein Packed Green Smoothies


Most mornings I start my day off with a green smoothie, green juice, fruit, dry cereal or nuts. Not all at once! It's usually 1 to 3 of these.

When I became pregnant and morning sickness hit me, green smoothies were no longer my friend. I could not fathom drinking them any longer. Just the thought alone took me to places I didn't want to go! How odd to me that something I've had almost everyday for the past couple of years was no on the up-chuck list. I've since learned that this is the way with pregnancy, sometimes your body feels as if it's not your own.

After a couple of weeks of sickness, I was determined to get back on the smoothie train. My body needed protein and iron even more now than ever and I wasn't eating much of it, so this was a must for me.

I started off slow and eventually worked my way back into my smoothie/juice routine. After overcoming that first hurdle, this has been a staple of mine throughout the day. If you've ever been pregnant you know that though nutrition is key, your bodies changes along with wants and desires sometimes don't match up. Having a variety of different smoothies and juices each day helps me know that my baby and I are getting all the nutrients I need and it keeps me fueled throughout the day.

Some days, I just don't feel like even getting all my ingredients together to make a smoothie, so I've made the process easier for myself. Here's a couple tips that may help you through those low energy mornings.

-Make sure that all fruits and veggies are washed and ready to go
-Precut any produce that you can, so you can just grab it and toss in the blender
-I blend up my greens and liquid 3 days in advance and freeze in an ice tray. I then pop them out and put in a freezer safe container

Try a variety of combinations. I just go with how I'm feeling that day along with what was available at the farmers market that week. The list of possibilities is endless!

Basic Smoothie
1 cup ice
1 cup fruit
*2 handfuls of greens (kale, spinach, dandelion, etc)
**protein powder
1 cup liquid (nut milks, water, juice)

Add agave, honey or your fav sweetner, if your smoothie isn't as sweet as you like.
Sometimes, I also add maca powder and/or flax seed oil.
Toss it all in the blender and blend until smooth.

*If you don't have a high speed blender, you may want to use greens that aren't so tough, such as spinach.

**Use as recommended. I use 1/2 a scoop in an 8oz smoothie. I use this one; http://www.seacoastvitamins.com/product_info.php?products_id=567

No comments: