Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Red Raspberry Leaf and Nettle Leaf Tea


So refreshing and good for you too! I love sipping on this tea over ice anytime of day. It makes me feel so good.

Before becoming pregnant, I had only used Nettles Leaf in my hair teas to cleanse and add shine. After conceiving, I found NL had even more to offer.

Nettles are wonderful for everyone, but are especially great during pregnancy. Nettles help strengthen the uterus, increase fertility and ease cramps and muscle spasms. What a great way to get needed iron and other nutrients into your body.
Brew some up to pour through your hair and enjoy internally!

Nettles Leaf (Urtica dioica)

-rich in iron and chlorophyll
-contains the minerals calcium, magnesium, silicon, sulphur, copper, chromium, zinc, cobalt, potassium and phosphorus
-vitamins A, C, D, E, and K as well as riboflavin and thiamin

Red Raspberry Leaf (Rubus idaeus)

RRL is used before pregnancy to regulate menstrual cycles and decreases heavy bleeding. During pregnancy, many midwives recommend it throughout 2nd and 3rd trimesters as well as post partum. It is known to tone the uterus, decrease nausea and ease labor pains.

-rich in iron, calcium, manganese and magnesium
-contains vitamin A. C, E and B complex
-aid fertility
-tone and strengthen uterus
-minimize bleeding

*If you are pregnant, be sure to do your own research and check with your health care practitioner before brewing up a batch.*

How I make mine;
I use 1 part NL and 1 part RRL.
I use 2tsp of this mix per 1 cup of tea.
I always make a large batch of about 6 cups, using 3 cups of hot water to brew and then adding 3 cups cold water. I brew my leaves for a minimum of 10 minutes.
Sweeten it to taste and enjoy over ice.



I drink about 8oz every other day. Sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less :)

Sources;
"Wise Woman Herbal for the Childbearing Year" by Susun Weed
http://www.susunweed.com/WiseWomanHerbals.htm

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/herbaltea.html

No comments: